- Réduire la taille du texte
- Remettre la taille du texte par défaut
- Augmenter la taille du texte
- Imprimer la page
NI Corporation Consulting division offers residual material management consulting services to industries, businesses and institutions, and also to municipalities. The scope of services is broad and namely includes:
The characterization studies that NI Corporation performs aim to produce a detailed and complete portrait of a given site’s residual material production, recycling and disposal. A residual material characterization study achieves the following objectives:
- identify the types of residual materials generated at the site, as well as their source (sector) and their destination (recycling or disposal);
- assess recycling rates by sector and by material;
- analyse residual material recycling and disposal costs;
- compare the results with the objectives of the proposed Politique québécoise de gestion des matières résiduelles as well as its 2011-2015 Action Plan, then discuss;
- recommend ways to improve the current recycling program and bring down costs.
These studies are usually conducted over a one week period. All residual materials generated on site are channelled to a designated sorting area where they are sorted into roughly twenty material categories before being weighed.
Industrial, commercial and institutional residual material characterization studies can be carried out at a wide variety of sites (offices, convention center, community clinic, hospital, military base, border post, public venue, event, port base, maintenance garage, manufacturing plant, etc.)
Since 1998, NI Corporation has performed 150 industrial, commercial and institutional residual material characterization studies.
NI Corporation’s characterization studies stand out in many ways:
- data compiled for at least eighteen different material categories;
- sorting and weighing of all residual materials generated over a one-week period;
- sound advice for improving the existing recycling program, be it through communication initiatives, minor adjustments or major adjustments;
- numerous historical studies make it possible to compare the results with those of similar sites;
- improved reporting from one mandate to the next;
- precise, site-specific results annualization method;
- Graphic, plain language presentation of results offered free of charge.
Large-scale residual material characterization studies aim to produce a detailed and complete portraitof a given sample’s residual material composition.Large-scale residual material characterization studies often differ widely from one to the other. A wide variety of residual materials can be characterized: a city or province’s residual materials, bails or waste from sorting facilities, transport yards, garbage trucks, a city’s commercial establishments, outdoor events, etc. Each mandate thus has specific requirements for determining residual material composition.The sorting categories are therefore determined based on the nature of the mandate and the desired objectives. These studies are sometimes carried out over long periods of time in order to ensure the representativeness of the analyzed samples. It should also be noted that confidentiality is always maintained.
NI Corporation has performed many large-scale residual material characterization studies.
A residual material audit is a qualitative tool for assessing the status of a site’s residual material management.Unlike a residual material characterization study, where all of a site’s residual materials are sorted and weighed, the audit is a more basic study where all the information is obtained visually.The audit provides a qualitative summary of the current situation. NI Corporation will be in a position to suggest improvements to the existing residual material management system.
NI Corporation has performed many residual material audits.
Residual material management plans are policies that develop and set targets for improving residual material management. Municipalities implement these plans on a large scale while businesses do it on a smaller scale.NI Corporation provide the following services:
- Develop or improve residual material management plans dealing with all aspects of residual materials (reduction, reuse, recycling, recovery, disposal) in order to reduce both residual material production and costs
- Plan and implement a recycling program, including equipment and employee training
- Revise/revive a residual material management program
- Compile performance results
- For businesses, prepare and submit an application for ICI ON RECYCLE!
NI Corporation has completed multiple mandates pertaining to residual material management plans.
Ecocentres are residual material collection facilities offering users a place to dispose of certain products, materials and substances. These products are then optimally managed in order to be put to good use or, if this is not possible, disposed of responsibly.NI Corporation offers services at every stage leading to ecocentre implementation and optimization:
- Feasibility study: Assess the relevance and intervention potential for ecocenter implementation.
- Layout: Propose a layout that takes into consideration the amount of materials, the site’s topography and the site operations. For an existing ecocentre, it is possible to analyse the existing layout in order to optimise operations and diversion rates.
- Socio-economic impact assessment: Estimate the positive environmental and socio-economic impacts, assess implementation and operating costs, and determine anticipated revenues.
- Ecocenter implementation: plan the logistics and costs of implementing the ecocenter. Design, plan and budget the installation of infrastructures that appropriately meet the clientele’s needs. Determine how to offer, price and finance ancillary services.
- Business plan preparation: implement ecocenters with an industrial vocation, which includes offering collective services to facilities. Prepare the business plan describing the collective services to facilities.
NI Corporation has completed multiple ecocentre planning mandates.
NI Corporation provides services whereby it analyses potential markets for particular materials. If a large quantity of material is generated but no local market for it currently exist, NI Corporation analyse the material’s components and propose some possible uses.NI Corporation has performed some potential market analyses.
You would like to put together a residual material management project but don’t know where to begin? NI Corporation offers services to support you along the way. Be it for the occasional question or for full-fledged coaching from beginning to end, our company can lend a helping hand. For example, NI Corporation can help you prepare and submit your application for ICI ON RECYCLE!or the residual materials section of your LEED accreditation.If your project is particularly ambitious, it is possible to begin the implementation process with a pilot project that can be expanded afterwards.If you’ve got an idea, we can help!
NI Corporation has completed multiple pilot project implementation and coaching mandates.
Drawing on its residual material management experience, NI Corporation is well positioned to offer cost analysis services.For example, NI Corporation can provide advice for devising or revising fair fee structures for the member municipalities of a regional municipality or metropolitan community. Similarly, NI Corporation can recommend a fair and efficient fee structure for the industrial, commercial and institutional clients of a given entity. NI Corporation also in a position to determine the least costly avenue of residual material management for industrial, commercial, institutional and municipal entities.NI Corporation has performed a few cost analyses.
NI Corporation has the means to improve environmental communications within your facility:
- Seminars: seminar-type presentations on various environmental themes.
- Production of communication documents: creation of handouts, flyers, brochures and booklets that inform, raise awareness or educate on an environmental issue.
- Residual material training: teaching appropriate residual material management behaviour.
NI Corporation has completed multiple residual material management information, awareness training and education mandates.
When organizing an environmentally-responsible event, it is important to consider the residual material management aspect. NI Corporation can help you plan a “zero waste” event and manage residual materials effectively. Fibres and recyclable containers will be collected, compostable materials will be recovered and waste generation will be minimized at the source.NI Corporation planned one “Zero Waste” event.
Environmental management system(EMS): Design, implementation and monitoring of an environmental management system dealing with multiple facets of the environment, such as water, air, land, energy, and residual materials.An environmental management system (EMS) helps manage the environmental impacts attributable to your operations. Cornerstone of the ISO 14 001 standard, your organisation’s EMS can initially be simpler and suited to your needs. A well structured EMS can constitute proof of due diligence in case of an environmental mishap. At the very least, it can:
- Diminish the intensity of your activities’ environmental impacts;
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, standards and policies;
- Improve corporate image;
- Better protect administrators from lawsuits;
- Improve environmental performance.
Environmental assessment (EA): Conducting an environmental audit in order to assess a site’s (or part of a site’s) compliance with your verification criteria.
- Assess the legal and regulatory compliance of operations;
- Verify compliance with internal standards for water, air, land, residual materials and energy;
- Identify opportunities for improving environmental performance;
- Assess compliance with the requirements of the ISO 14001 standard.
Environmental site assessment (ESA): Assessment regarding the contamination and/or restoration of a property and its buildings.
- Identify any environmental liabilities before purchasing or selling a property;
- Establish the presence or absence of contamination at a site;
- Develop a contaminated site restoration and monitoring program.
Are your needs not met by the services presented thus far?
Our general consulting service for residual materials and the environment has access to extensive information and specialist networks in the environmental industry.